Our site is tested by TWO services every day to protect your information.
Unlike some of our competitors, we are an authorized retailer for everything we sell - we do not use unathorized "Gray Market" sources.
Amplifiers & Speakers:
SB112 Lightweight Combo Bass Amplifier (1x12, 200w)
Shipping Cost: Starts at $34.00 to most East Coast destinations
Log in, or add this item to your cart to see actual shipping costs to your state or country.
(You can easily remove it if you change your mind.)
Add to Wishlist
Today is MLK Day...
Today is a federal holiday celebrating the life and achievements of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. in the United States. All US Post Offices are closed today in recognition of this holiday, so orders processed and "shipped" in our system today will be packed and labeled, but will not actually be physically
shipped until tomorrow. UPS is still operating today, so larger items that go by UPS will ship as normal.
We know not everyone wants to (or can) spend the bucks to get a boutique amp for their upright bass. We proudly offer and recommend (and use) amps in the Acoustic Image, Euphonic Audio and Genz-Benz lines, which are highly respected, top-quality brands. But, let's face it - they don't come cheap.
We've always aspired to provide a decent amp option for buyers with more modest budgets. But as you may have read on our site, the gear we sell has to pass the "Bob and Mark Test" - meaning, if we wouldn't use it ourselves, we won't sell it. It takes an amp with particular character and the right technical specifications to reproduce the acoustic sound of an upright bass.
With the Small Block Series from Traynor, we believe we've found a great new option for those buyers. This offering is a big step up (and only a little more money) than the old favorite TB100 amp, which was a larger, heavier model with a 15" speaker that sounded quite good for both upright and electric bass. The SB112 is much lighter and more compact, more powerful, and features more extensive EQ controls and better i/o options. And yet it's still very affordable!
This amp's,little brother, the SB110, carries a surprisingly deep sound and doesn't exhibit as much "boxiness" as you commonly hear from speakers of that size and weight. However, a 1x10 combo with 100w -- even one that greatly exceeds your expectations -- does have its practical limitations. Some folks, especially those playing "aggressive" styles of music like Psychobilly and Blues-Rock, need a bit more "oomph" than a 1x10 speaker can provide. It's simple physics, really. Bigger speaker = bigger sound.
So here's the next step up - featuring twice the wattage and a bigger speaker, yet still eminently portable, lightweight, and affordable. All of the same features make it just a killer value.
Even more so than the SB110 (thanks to its larger cabinet and speaker) the amp has full, deep sound. It's only 14" x 15.5" x 17.5", but turning it up, we can rattle the pictures off the walls in our little showroom.
It's constructed in Canada with real plywood, not fragile particle board or heavy MDF. It uses a genuine brand-name Eminence driver. Its styling is clean and unassuming, not flashy, but classy. All this, and a solid 2-year warranty.
Not surprisingly, it also sounded great with electric bass; my 5-string had full-bodied tone all the way up and down the neck, and the extensive EQ controls made it easy to instantly dial in a contemporary electric bass tone. So this amp can do double-duty - it works equally well with electric or acoustic bass.
- Status LEDs - Power (red for warmup, blue for "ready") and Clip
- 0dB/Passive and -6dB/Active Inputs ¼-inch phone jacks
- Gain (Volume) Control - One knob for volume control
- Tone Controls – 4-band EQ includes Bass, Low-Mid, Hi-Mid and Treble
- Low Expander Control - This is a Bass Boost/Mid "Scoop" control, which is best used by electric bass. But feel free to experiment, perhaps you'll like it!
- Aux Input – ¼-inch phone jack - Line Level
- Phones Jack – ¼-inch Stereo/Mono Headphone Jack
- Ground Lift Switch for DI Output
- Line Out – XLR jack for DI-style connection to a mixing board
- Tweeter Defeat/Active Switch - reduce high-frequency "clack" by turning off the tweeter!
|Pros and Cons:
- With a 200 watt rating and compact size, we find the amp can get quite loud without distortion.
- A four-band EQ is incredibly useful for upright bass; and unusual on an amp in this price range.
- Volume and headroom are very good for this price range, but it's not quite a fair comparison to match it up with the much higher-powered combos from Acoustic Image, or the 550w Micro/Doubler from Euphonic Audio.
- It's very lightweight and portable, especially compared with the TB100 amp it replaces in our product line.
- It's got one channel only (though with the AUX 1/4" jack input you can add additional sources) and it has no microphone input.
- The DI output provides connection to "the house" (Post-EQ only)
- It can power its internal speaker only; there is no external speaker jack.
- Its 12" driver has full range - and isn't overly boxy. Tonally, is it up to the level of an Acoustic Image or EA rig? Not quite -- but for less than half the price, it's certainly a great alternative!
- Lightweight, Compact and Durable Cabinet Design
- Made of Real Plywood
- Built in Canada
- 4-band EQ (Bass/Lo Mid/Hi Mid/Treble, ±15dB)
- Low Expander Control: boosts lows and cuts mids; not particularly useful for URB
- Active and Passive Instrument Level Inputs
- XLR Balanced (Post-EQ) Output
- 1/4" Auxiliary Line Input
- ¼ inch Headphone Output
- Power: 200 watts
- Burst Power - 2 cycle: 250 watts
- Speaker: 12 inch woofer w/separate Tweeter
- Frequency Response (Hz +/-3dB): 50 - 15k
- Inputs: two ¼ inch (passive, active); 1/4" auxilliary jack
- Controls: one each Volume/Gain, Bass, Low Mid, High Mid, Treble, Expander
- Line Out: XLR Post-EQ
- LED Indicators: Power, Clip
- Headphone Jack: ¼ inch
- Speaker Jack: None, the unit is designed to drive the internal speaker only.
- Dimensions 14 x 15.5 x 17.5 inches / 35.5 x 39.4 x 44.5 cm
- Weight: 25 lbs. / 11.3 kg.
- For best sound with the upright bass, turn the "Low Expander" control OFF. As in, all the way to the left (not at the midpoint.) This control "shapes the tone of the bass by extending the low frequency and reducing the mid frequencies (around 400 Hz)." That creates an unnatural "scooped" sound with exaggerated bass response - and while that can sound cool for electric bass guitar, it detracts from the neutral tone character that better serves the sound of an upright.
- Tilt the amp upward to hear yourself better.
- Is the sound of the highs too harsh? Too much finger noise? Turn off the tweeter, that will "round off" the top end and provide a bit more natural tone for upright.
Note to International Customers:
The Traynor SB112 is designed and configured for use in the USA and Canada (110-120v mains power). It does NOT have the capability to switch to 230-240v operation.
Is this product returnable? Click here for our return policy.
Is there a Factory Warranty? Click here to find Warranty Information for all of our manufacturers.
International customer? Click here for important information about ordering from outside the USA, and what to expect concerning taxes, VAT, delivery times, and more.
Genzler Amplification Magellan Amp Heads
The wizard who brought you those great sounding amps (with a similar name) is back! These compact, powerful heads have the flexibility, hi-fi transparent sound, and great design -- in a portable package -- that you would expect from Jeff Genzler...
• 350w @ 4ohms/3.5 lbs. • 800w @ 4ohms/6.25 lbs.
Genzler Bass Array Magellan 350/BA 10 1x10 Small Combo
The wizard who brought you those great sounding amps (with a similar name) is back! This small combo has the flexibility, hi-fi transparent sound, and great design -- in a portable package -- that you would expect from Jeff Genzler...
• 15.5”W x 15”D x 16”H, 25 Lbs • 175w (350 w/added cab) and 1x10 speaker with array
Acoustic Image CONTRA Combo Bass Amplifier - Series 4PLUS
The Acoustic Image Contra upright bass (and other instrument) amplification system continues to combine a state-of-the-art power amp and an acoustic instrument-optimized preamp section, with a subwoofer style ten-inch bass speaker and five-inch mid/high speaker...
• 300w • 11.5Hx15W (round) • less than 20 lbs.
Acoustic Image CODA Series 4plus Combo Amplifier
The Acoustic Image Coda packs 650 watts into a very compact combo amp. The Series 4PLUS 2-channel model has four bands of EQ and newly updated effects...
• 650w • 11.5Hx15W (round) • around 20 lbs.
SB110 Lightweight Combo Bass Amplifier
This new amp is an excellent choice for players on a budget who need to amplify - with real pro features and great sound! Eminence driver, real plywood (no MDF!), good sound for URB and "slab" bass. And made in Canada!
Euphonic Audio Wizzy 10 Speaker Cabinet
New cosmetics, with attractive brown Tolex and grille cloth for a distinctively classy look! Less than 18 lbs., this compact cab with a ten inch "whizzer" driver makes an ideal companion to the 2.5 lb. Micro or Doubler amplifier...
• rated at 250w • 4 ohms • 101dB @ 1m • 15.5"H x 12.5"W x 11.5"D inches • 17.8 lbs.
Euphonic Audio Wizzy 12 and MLINE Speaker Cabinets
The Wizzy and Wizzy MLINE design incorporates a custom Euphonic Audio twelve-inch driver with a whizzer cone to handle the higher frequencies. The MLINE version employs a specially-engineered transmission line cabinet to provide a deeper sound...
• rated at 250w • 4 ohms • 103dB @ 1m (Wizzy) 101dB @ 1m (MLINE) • 17Hx17Wx12.5D inches/15.6Wx19Hx12.5D inches • approx 29/34 lbs.
TVM50 Battery Powered Musical Instrument Amplifier
I've been asked many times about battery-powered bass amps, for those who need to play campground gigs, outdoor festivals, and the like. There are very few options -- but for reinforcement purposes, this one might just be the ticket... (1x10 combo, 50w)
SB200H Lightweight Bass Amplifier Head
We love the combo, now you can get the same great features in a standalone head. Tiny, lightweight, and quite affordable - this amp can do double duty; turn down the Low Expander and it's a great upright bass amp. But it sounds great for electric bass, too...