CR4M 4-string Electric Upright Bass - Optional POPLAR BURL FINISH (Special IN-STOCK buy)
- Only one available. If you see it on the site, it's available for purchase.
- Special Pricing:
- Add to Cart for Special Discount!
CR4M Double Bass in CUSTOM Poplar Burl Limited Edition Finish
This special finish is extremely limited. We have exactly ONE of these basses in stock for immediate shipment. It's brand new, just received (October 2020) from NS Design, who just brought it in from their Czech factory. This bass is brand new in a sealed box, pristine, and very rare. Act now, it won't last long.
You won't find this bass new in stock anywhere else, folks - minimum wait for a custom finish like this is usually 6-10 months or more.
The beautifully designed CR-M basses are crafted in the Czech Republic, a country with a long-standing reputation for quality upright bass building. It features a full-scale fingerboard with adjustable relief to suit varying players' preferences; the bridge height is also adjustable. The select ebony and maple combine to make a very attractive instrument - it's obvious that a great deal of care goes into its creation.
Out of the box, the bass begs to be played, with comfortable action and great playability. Acoustically, the instrument vibrate well, and project a surprising amount of sound for a solid-body. In fact, I found myself playing one for quite some time before I even plugged it in - it's that much fun to play!
Once I did plug it in, I had a lot of fun tweaking the amplified sound; the piezo pickup sounds very good (more on that later) and the EMG magnetic pickups give you the option for a more "electric" sound. And of course, the two pickup systems can be blended together to suit your particular taste. Personally, I think the magnetic pickups are a wonderful addition even if only blended in to support the piezo system.
The tone-shaping options on this bass are pretty impressive. Aside from a traditional two-band (bass and treble) EQ and the balance control to blend the magnetic and the piezo pickups, there is a special "PolarTM" control for the pickup. This control actually selectively changes the piezo pickup's response to either vertical vibration (for the sustained plucked sound, like an electric bass guitar), or lateral vibration (for dynamic bowing, and a percussive plucked sound) - and is sweepable between these two settings to allow you to dial in your sound. I actually got a fairly convincing upright pizz sound by fiddling with an in-between setting on that control and by rolling back the treble a bit.
Three interchangeable support systems are available for the bass: the self supporting tripod stand, more conventional end pin stand, and shoulder strap assembly for full mobility. It also comes with a very nice gig bag with a separate compartment for the stand, as well as a bow pocket and accessory pocket.
- MAPLE BODY AND NECK: The body and neck of the CR Series Double Bass are crafted of solid European hard maple. On this bass, the tops of the body and headstock are topped with a gorgeous thick veneer of Poplar Burl. The neck has a traditional upright shape, but with extended access to the upper register of the fingerboard. The solid-body body design enhances sustain and clarity, and is resistant to the effect of changes in temperature and humidity.
- EBONY FINGERBOARD: The seasoned ebony fingerboard is hand graduated to insure that each note is even and buzz free. An adjustable truss rod allows for precise relief adjustment for different strings and playing style. Small dots across the neck provide accurate position markers.
- POLAR BRIDGE PICKUP SYSTEM: The Polar pickups can sense either lateral or vertical string vibration - or both! Set in the lateral mode, the pickup has unparalleled sensitivity in the direction of the bow. In the vertical mode, plucked notes are remarkably even and sustained.
- EMG MAGNETIC PICKUPS: The low-impedance EMG pickups incorporate individually-adjustable coils and neodymium magnets. Each coil is buffered separately for a full sound quality with very low noise.
- ACTIVE EQ AND MIXER: Controls include volume, a blend control for magnetic and piezo pickups, a blend knob to alter the tone of the Polar pickup, and individual bass EQ & treble EQ controls. The 18 volt power supply insures plenty of reserve overhead for full dynamics.
- ADJUSTABLE BRIDGE: Two screws in the back of the body are used to adjust the bridge up and down. This allows the instrument to be set up to meet the requirements of many different playing styles.
- THREE STAND OPTIONS:
- Tripod Stand - Included as standard equipment, the steel Tripod Stand provides stable support, with full height and tilt adjustment. The stand folds down to fit in the included gig bag.
- End Pin Stand - An optional End Pin Stand offers the upright bassist a more traditional position, similar to that of an acoustic instrument.
- Shoulder Strap System - A light frame structure is supported by a single guitar style strap extending over the left shoulder. This holds the bass in the correct position for both pizz. and arco styles. With the Strap System to you can achieve full mobility with amazing comfort.
- PORTABILITY: The padded tubular gig bag is only 137 cm (54") long and 18 cm (7") in diameter, and weighs 8.2 kg (18 lbs) with the instrument and stand. A storage area inside the gig bag has room for accessories. The loaded gig bag will fit in the overhead compartment of most commercial aircraft. An optional flight case measures 145 x 25 x 25 cm (57" x 10" x 10").
- LENGTH: 132 cm (52")
- WEIGHT: 4.8 kg (10.5 lbs.)
- SCALE LENGTH: 106 cm (41.73")
- STRINGS 4
- CONSTRUCTION: Solid rock maple neck and body, Polar Burl face
- FINISH: Semi-gloss polymer coating with very light amber stain
- FINGERBOARD: Macassar Ebony;
- 4 string: 43.1mm (1.7") wide at nut; 89.0mm (3.5") max. width
- BRIDGE: Black phenolic; radius 7.9cm (3.1") string spacing 81mm (3.19").
- NUT: Macassar Ebony; radius 7.9cm (3.1"); string spacing 30mm (1.19").
- BRIDGE: The Polar™ directional piezo pick-up system responds selectively to either vertical vibration (for the sustained plucked sound, like an electric bass guitar), or lateral vibration (for dynamic bowing, and a percussive plucked sound).
- MAGNETIC: Low impedance EMG™ magnetic pick-up system, with individually adjustable coils, and low-noise, hum-canceling pre-amp.
- ELECTRONICS: 18 volt active circuit by EMG. Mono output.
- TRUSS ROD: Double rod design. Accessible at nut.
- TUNING MACHINES: Schaller 20:1 ratio, fully encased worm gear tuners; black finish.
- STRINGS: Compatible with most standard upright bass strings. D'Addario NS Electric Contemporary stainless steel flatwound strings standard.
- TRIPOD STAND (standard): Chrome-plated steel, fully adjustable, standing tripod design. Weight 3.2 kg (7 lbs.)
- GIG BAG: (standard) Padded tube with handle and shoulder strap, 137 cm (54") long; 18 cm (7") in diameter. Loaded weight is 8.2 kg (18 Ibs.), including stand. Fits in the overhead luggage compartment of most commercial aircraft.
Need to figure out some of the more in-depth features of this product? Here's a copy of the manual, in PDF format, here.
You may wish to visit the manufacturer's website to see if a more recent version is available.