FELiX - Two Channel Blending Preamp
- FREE SHIPPING:
- To all 50 US States
If you're a home studio nerd (like I am) then you're very likely familiar with the amazing products by Grace Design. Their preamps, compressors, and other audio gear is well-known for its boutique nature, thoughtful features, and excellent sound quality.
They've recently redesigned their high-quality preamps for the studio into road-ready compact units for the stage. The FELiX (and its little brother ALiX, a one-channel spinoff - see related items) is a "studio quality, 2 channel blending acoustic instrument and mic preamp, designed for working musicians, engineers, sound companies or venues looking for the highest quality solution for amplifying stringed instruments."
With all the useful features that we usually recommend -- high pass filter, parametric EQ controls, notch filter, quality EQ, high-impedance input for piezoelectric pickups, phase reverse on each channel -- it's got the goods. And with two input channels, one of which can be either 1/4" (with optional 12v phantom power) or XLR (with optional 48v phantom power), you can blend or switch between pickups, or a pickup and a mic, a mini-mic and a pickup, or... whatever moves you.
One of the big reasons to get a preamp when you have piezo pickups (pretty much meaning most upright bass pickups) is to create a "buffer" for the very high impedance that those pickups present. Each of the FELiX 1/4" inputs are switchable between three very useful impedance levels (Ch1/Ch2): 1/1 MegOhm, 10/20 MegOhm, and 10/332 kOhm. Adjusting these input impedances to properly buffer the output of your specific pickup will help you get the best, most natural sound out of your bass.
The dual DI outputs provide major flexibility - you can send the blended signal OR each separate channel to the pair of DI's - so if you want to send the pickup and a high-end mic like the DPA to the house as a blend, or as separate channels, you can do either. And there's a dedicated THIRD output on a 1/4" jack that is level-controlled for a stage amplifier, which can take either the mix output or the channel 2 output.
The boost switch activates a 10db variable boost, so you can set a separate volume level that you can jump back and forth from. This is particularly handy if you play both pizz and arco, as the sustained attack of the bow normally means that arco gets amplified a good bit louder. In this case, just click the footswitch when you pick up the bow to "click down" to the lower output, and you won't blow out anyone's eardrums.
FELiX also has a dedicated tuner output as well as a built-in headphone amplifer. A TRS insert jack is also included for injecting effects, if so desired. There's even a remote footswitch jack, so if you'd rather put FELiX on top of your amp, or somewhere else out of the way, you can still use the footswitch capabilities (mute/tune, and the boost switch).
All this, with a 5-year warranty!
(Too Long; Didn't Read)
- 2-channel, blending or switching preamp
- Channel 1: 1/4" instrument with selectable impedance, adjustable gain range (internal jumper) and 12v phantom OR XLR with 48v phantom
- Channel 2: 1/4" instrument with selectable impedance and 12v phantom. Channel 2 input can also be used to input two signals on a TRS cable and split them out to the two separate channels (like with a Rockabilly pickup setup)
- Effects Insert
- Notch Filter or Low Cut Filter, selectable per input channel
- Phase Reverse (per channel)
- Dedicated Tuner Output
- Dedicated Amplifier Output, can include Channel 2 or Both Channels Blended
- Dedicated Headphone Amplified Output
- Dual DI outputs; can be set to send each channel separately, or each DI can also contain the blended signal
- 3-Band EQ per channel with parametric Midrange (adjustable Q). Can also alter "Low Corner Frequency" per-channel settings with internal jumper
- Footswitch operation built in with option for external footswitch.
Need to figure out some of the more in-depth features of this product? Here's a copy of the manual, in PDF format, here.
You may wish to visit the manufacturer's website to see if a more recent version is available.
Every product we sell comes with a warranty registration card for our customers to fill out and mail back to us. Also, product warranty registration can be completed online. We urge our customers to send in or complete their product registrations so we can keep them notified of any service, recall or upgrade situations that may arise. Any submitted information is held securely and in strict confidence.
In the event that anything should go wrong with a Grace Design product, our service department is available and ready to help our customers with prompt, courteous responses and quick turnaround schedules for any repairs that are necessary.
- The Grace Design Standard warranty period begins at either: a) the date of original purchase - original customer proof of purchase required b) the date the product was originally shipped from Grace Design - if original customer proof of purchase is not available.
- This warranty is transferable to any person who may subsequently purchase the product during this time.
- This warranty excludes the following conditions: normal wear and tear, misuse, customer negligence, accidental damage, unauthorized repair or modification, cosmetic damage and damage incurred during shipment.
- During the time of this warranty, Grace Design will repair or replace, at its option, any defective parts or repair defective workmanship without charge, provided the customer has appropriate proof of purchase and that the product has its original factory serial number.
- Customers within the US are responsible for all inbound freight charges to Grace Design's facility, while Grace Design will pay for return freight charges via ground service. Customers outside the US must contact their distributor for warranty / product return details.
- In order for Grace Design to provide efficient and timely warranty service, it is important that you mail the completed warranty registration card enclosed with all of our products within 10 days of the original date of purchase. You may also register your product directly with Grace Design by telephone (303-823-8100 Monday-Friday 9:00am to 5:00pm MST), or you can register your product online at www.gracedesign.com.
- This warranty is in lieu of all other warranties whether written, expressed, or implied, INCLUDING ANY WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. In no event will Grace Design be liable for lost profits or any other incidental, consequential or Exemplary damages, even if Grace Design is aware of the possibility of such damages.
- In no event will Grace Design's liability exceed the purchase price of the product. This warranty gives the customer specific legal rights. The customer may also have other rights, which vary from state to state. Some states do not allow limitations on implied warranties or consequential damages, so some of the limitations of the above may not apply to a particular customer.