The beast is back!
The new iAMP Classic starts with the time-tested, wonderfully flexible iAMP front end - and updates it with a truly formidable power section. The intuitive, flexible EQ section has been a key ingredient in the personal sound of many players over the years - including our own Bob Gollihur, who had a very early iAmp800 for years.
The Preamp Circuitry
The iAMP Pro preamplifier circuitry consists of specially selected low noise, high bandwidth integrated circuits and support components. The original iAmp800 was highly praised for its transparent, yet easily modifiable sound; it was capable of a "girth" that not many amps could replicate. The Class D followup to the iAmp800, the iAmp Pro, was criticized by some players, who said that it didn't quite capture that same full-bodied goodness of the original power section. Well, worry not; the power section in the new iAmp Classic is a proven module that presents a clean and uncolored sound — with the same amazing power and thickness that the original iAmp800 had... just not all the weight!
- Uses: acoustic instruments, bass, and keyboards
- Inputs: 1/4" Hi and Lo jacks with multi-stage LED level indicator
- Input Impedance: TBD
- Controls: Input Gain, EQ In/Out, High Pass Filter, Master Volume, DI Level, Mute, DI Output On/Off, DI Pre/Post
- EQ: Lo, Lo-Mid, Hi-Mid, and Hi: all with boost/cut and variable frequency controls.
- EQ Presets: Deep, Contour 1, Contour 2, Bright
- Effects Loop: Series Post EQ with level control
- Outputs: Two parallel Speakon speaker, 1/4" Tuner, XLR balanced DI
- Frequency Response: TBD
- Power Output: 1200w/4 ohms, 600w/8 ohms
- Note: amp will safely run at 2 ohms, but wattage rating is the same as the 4 ohm rating (1200w)
- Size: approximately 3.5"H x 14"W x 8"D
- 100/120 - 240 volt power using internal selection
- Weight: 9 lbs.
If you've never seen an iAmp in person, their classic EQ section may look a little complicated; but it is pretty intuitive once you understand its concepts and interactively wrap your ears around its effects. The Deep and Contour II presets are favorites of mine, and Contour I and Bright are very nice as well. The four part section section has controls for Bass, Low-Midrange, High Midrange, and High, with a range -15db to +15db. The slider beneath each lets you select the semi-parametric center frequency that the knob affects, so you can very precisely choose and affect favorite frequency bands to dial in your sound - or dial out problem frequencies when on a "stage from hell" that might be causing "boominess" or "honking."
As an example-- getting too much finger noise from your double bass sound?? Move the High Mid slider to 1kZ, and use the dial above to subtract some of that noise! Knowing the "magic" frequencies helps, but the bottom line is: you should use your ears to make these adjustments. The EQ section can be switched in and out, which is very helpful if you are switching between two basses, and one needs more sound tailoring than the other.
The rest of the features are pretty self-explanatory, and of course for optional use, but please email me if you have any questions.
"The thing that drew me to Euphonic Audio was the purity of the translation of my sound through their system. It has worked in such a large variety of situations from Phil Collins, TOTO, James Taylor and Carole King to Lyle Lovett, Judith Owen and on and on. It is both my live set up and my studio set up. FOH and studio engineers always say how much they appreciate the purity and clarity of the system. EA is always striving to up the bar and tweak what is already great. Just remember that you are the sound and the gear is there to allow others to hear YOU and NOT CREATE YOU!"
EA thinks you're smart: They use REAL Volume Controls
Rather than have all the volume in the first turn of the knob, EA uses potentiometers that are more linear. This means you may actually have to turn the master volume all the way up to the 3 o'clock position when things get really, really loud. This gives you a more realistic measure of how much power you are using. Most other amp manufacturers (and think stereos, car radios, etc.) use a taper that puts all the volume up front. This is to impress unsuspecting customers trying gear in stores. "Wow, listen to how loud it is, and it's only on 2? ," he says, and thinks to himself, ”This thing must get really loud!!”
Nope, they're just fooling with you. It pretty much stops getting louder around 5, and then only gets more distorted. EA thinks it's better to use the entire volume control. You'll otherwise never actually attain the mythic eleven.
Is this an EA Exclusive?? We're not sure, but we think others should follow their example. Euphonic Audio says respect your customers, don't try to fool them.
7-Day Trial Period
Your purchase of this item is covered by the exclusive Gollihur Music 7-day Trial Period, under the following terms:
You may contact us to return this item, for any reason (or no reason), within the first seven days of ownership. The timer starts on the day that you receive the item, not the order date.
Returns are subject to deductions as follows:
- Any shipping costs you paid are not refunded, and if the item shipped free, the costs we incurred to ship the item to you will be deducted from your refund or credit.
- All shipping costs you incur to return the item are your responsibility.
- A small fee is deducted from your refund to cover credit card/PayPal fees which are not refunded to us even if we refund your charge. Note that if you choose to accept a store credit instead of a refund, this deduction does not apply.
Items must be returned in 100% "as new" condition, with all original packaging, shipping materials, and accessories/manuals/bonus items. Deductions are assessed for missing or damaged items.
IMPORTANT: You must contact us for authorization BEFORE shipping the item back.
The warranty is void under the following conditions:
- If the unit has been damaged due to accident, improper handling, installation or operation
- If the unit has been damaged in shipping
- Abuse or misuse. This includes exceeding the physical limitations of amplifier or speaker cabinet, i.e. using excessive bass boost in the Wizzy 10.
- Unauthorized repair or attempted repair
- If the serial number has been defaced or removed
All liability for any incidental or consequential damage for breach or any expressed or implied warranties is disclaimed and excluded here from.
Some states do not allow limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts, or the exclusion or limitation of incidental and/or consequential damages, so that the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you. This warranty gives specific legal rights and you may also have other rights, which vary from state to state.
Please follow these steps if your equipment requires repair:
- Locate your original bill of sale which should include date and place of purchase.
- Call, FAX or write to Euphonic Audio describing the problem and for issue of a Return Authorization Number (RA)
- Pack the unit carefully, preferably in the original shipping carton, enclose a brief description of the problem, and a copy of the Bill of Sale. Write the RA number on the carton and ship prepaid to the factory. Please be sure to properly insure the unit when shipping it.
- If it is determined that the unit is under warranty, we will repair the unit as deemed appropriate (repair or replacement parts) free of charge and return the repaired unit to you.
- If it is determined that the unit is not under warranty, we will return the repaired unit COD for the cost of repair, shipping and insurance.
EA has outdone themselves with this beast. I keep the EQ off (flat) unless of any room adjustment needed for my stingray and use contour 1 (low mid cut) for an AMAZING sound. For my upright I EQ a ton and use contour 1 or 2 to get a sound that, to me, sounds like my actual bass acoustically instead of my bass through a piezo. I can get rid of the nasal quality of the mids and get an incredible sound. This is also the only amp that actually catches some bloom from my fully carved bass. If you are on the fence like I was, do yourself a favor and get this amazing amp.