Belcanto Upright Bass Strings
- FREE SHIPPING:
- To all 50 US States
- PRODUCT OPTIONS:
- Multiple Sets & Single Strings Available
Thomastik has been making these "rope core" (a style of winding, not what they're made of!) strings for a couple of years, and I must say that we're pretty high on them right now - they’re on Bob's Kay, and he's really loving them for both pizz and arco. They’ve been designed for bowed work, but they have a very musical, warm pizz sound with a very sweet sustain. Their bowed feel and quick response is wonderful. They are also available in a solo gauge string, which we have on a separate page.
String details from the manufacturer, Thomastik Infeld:
- Core: specially twisted steel rope core; settles in quickly, intonates extremely well; exceptional tuning stability
- Tone: dark and warm with excellent resonance; wide range of tone colors; easy to blend; pizzicato is open and free
- Sound: outstanding projection with moderate effort; sustains better than most other arco (bowing) string brands
- Playbility: quick response to the bow; soft under your fingers; fantanstic hybrid capability
- Belcantos are for 3/4 size (and possibly some 7/8 or 4/4 depending on scale length) basses, with a scale length up to 110cm (43.3 inches). They have a steel rope core and are chromium wound.
- G=28.25kg/62.2 lbs
- D=27.75kg/63.3 lbs
- A=29.25kg/64.4 lbs
- E=28.75kg/63.3 lbs
- Set=115kg/253.20 lbs.
I really enjoy the Belcanto strings by Thomastik. I mainly play pizzacato, some arco and I find them to have a wonderful dark/warm sound on all 4 strings. I've tried gut, faux gut. all the way to Spirocore on my carved bass and I believe I've finally found the right strings for this bass. Thomastik makes many great strings but the Belcantos are truly the "Holy Grail" in my opinion.