SB112 Lightweight Combo Bass Amplifier (1x12, 200w)
- FREE SHIPPING:
- To the Continental USA
With the Small Block Series from Traynor, we believe we've found a great new option. This offering is a big step up (and only a little more money) than the old favorite TB100 amp, which was a larger, heavier model with a 15" speaker that sounded quite good for both upright and electric bass. The SB112 is much lighter and more compact, more powerful, and features more extensive EQ controls and better i/o options. And yet it's still very affordable!
We know not everyone wants to (or can) spend the bucks to get a boutique amp for their upright bass. We proudly offer and recommend (and use) amps in the Acoustic Image, Euphonic Audio and Genz-Benz lines, which are highly respected, top-quality brands. But, let's face it - they don't come cheap.
We've always aspired to provide a decent amp option for buyers with more modest budgets. But as you may have read on our site, the gear we sell has to pass the "Bob and Mark Test" - meaning, if we wouldn't use it ourselves, we won't sell it. It takes an amp with particular character and the right technical specifications to reproduce the acoustic sound of an upright bass.
This amp's,little brother, the SB110, carries a surprisingly deep sound and doesn't exhibit as much "boxiness" as you commonly hear from speakers of that size and weight. However, a 1x10 combo with 100w -- even one that greatly exceeds your expectations -- does have its practical limitations. Some folks, especially those playing "aggressive" styles of music like Psychobilly and Blues-Rock, need a bit more "oomph" than a 1x10 speaker can provide. It's simple physics, really. Bigger speaker = bigger sound.
So here's the next step up - featuring twice the wattage and a bigger speaker, yet still eminently portable, lightweight, and affordable. All of the same features make it just a killer value.
Even more so than the SB110 (thanks to its larger cabinet and speaker) the amp has full, deep sound. It's only 14" x 15.5" x 17.5", but turning it up, we can rattle the pictures off the walls in our little showroom.
It's constructed in Canada with real plywood, not fragile particle board or heavy MDF. It uses a genuine brand-name Eminence driver. Its styling is clean and unassuming, not flashy, but classy. All this, and a solid 2-year warranty.
Not surprisingly, it also sounded great with electric bass; my 5-string had full-bodied tone all the way up and down the neck, and the extensive EQ controls made it easy to instantly dial in a contemporary electric bass tone. So this amp can do double-duty - it works equally well with electric or acoustic bass.
- Status LEDs - Power (red for warmup, blue for "ready") and Clip
- 0dB/Passive and -6dB/Active Inputs ¼-inch phone jacks
- Gain (Volume) Control - One knob for volume control
- Tone Controls – 4-band EQ includes Bass, Low-Mid, Hi-Mid and Treble
- Low Expander Control - This is a Bass Boost/Mid "Scoop" control, which is best used by electric bass. But feel free to experiment, perhaps you'll like it!
- Aux Input – ¼-inch phone jack - Line Level
- Phones Jack – ¼-inch Stereo/Mono Headphone Jack
- Ground Lift Switch for DI Output
- Line Out – XLR jack for DI-style connection to a mixing board
- Tweeter Defeat/Active Switch - reduce high-frequency "clack" by turning off the tweeter!
Pros and Cons:
- With a 200 watt rating and compact size, we find the amp can get quite loud without distortion.
- A four-band EQ is incredibly useful for upright bass; and unusual on an amp in this price range.
- Volume and headroom are very good for this price range, but it's not quite a fair comparison to match it up with the much higher-powered combos from Acoustic Image, or the 550w Micro/Doubler from Euphonic Audio.
- It's very lightweight and portable, especially compared with the TB100 amp it replaces in our product line.
- It's got one channel only (though with the AUX 1/4" jack input you can add additional sources) and it has no microphone input.
- The DI output provides connection to "the house" (Post-EQ only)
- It can power its internal speaker only; there is no external speaker jack.
- Its 12" driver has full range - and isn't overly boxy. Tonally, is it up to the level of an Acoustic Image or EA rig? Not quite -- but for less than half the price, it's certainly a great alternative!
- Lightweight, Compact and Durable Cabinet Design
- Made of Real Plywood
- Built in Canada
- 4-band EQ (Bass/Lo Mid/Hi Mid/Treble, ±15dB)
- Low Expander Control: boosts lows and cuts mids; not particularly useful for URB
- Active and Passive Instrument Level Inputs
- XLR Balanced (Post-EQ) Output
- 1/4" Auxiliary Line Input
- ¼ inch Headphone Output
- Power: 200 watts
- Burst Power - 2 cycle: 250 watts
- Speaker: 12 inch woofer w/separate Tweeter
- Frequency Response (Hz +/-3dB): 50 - 15k
- Inputs: two ¼ inch (passive, active); 1/4" auxilliary jack
- Controls: one each Volume/Gain, Bass, Low Mid, High Mid, Treble, Expander
- Line Out: XLR Post-EQ
- LED Indicators: Power, Clip
- Headphone Jack: ¼ inch
- Speaker Jack: None, the unit is designed to drive the internal speaker only.
- Dimensions 14 x 15.5 x 17.5 inches / 35.5 x 39.4 x 44.5 cm
- Weight: 25 lbs. / 11.3 kg.
- For best sound with the upright bass, turn the "Low Expander" control OFF. As in, all the way to the left (not at the midpoint.) This control "shapes the tone of the bass by extending the low frequency and reducing the mid frequencies (around 400 Hz)." That creates an unnatural "scooped" sound with exaggerated bass response - and while that can sound cool for electric bass guitar, it detracts from the neutral tone character that better serves the sound of an upright.
- Tilt the amp upward to hear yourself better.
- Is the sound of the highs too harsh? Too much finger noise? Turn off the tweeter, that will "round off" the top end and provide a bit more natural tone for upright.
The Traynor SB112 is designed and configured for use in the USA and Canada (110-120v mains power). It does NOT have the capability to switch to 230-240v operation.
7 Day Trial Period on Amplifiers and Speaker Cabinets
We know that it's tough to buy new gear over the Internet. So purchasers have a seven (7) day trial period during which they may return the amp in new condition -- NO QUESTIONS ASKED! -- for a full refund, minus all shipping costs and a small transaction fee to cover credit card processing. Call or email us first: returns must be preauthorized; a restocking fee applies if the unit is not returned in new condition.
7-Day Trial Period
Your purchase of this item is covered by the exclusive Gollihur Music 7-day Trial Period, under the following terms:
You may contact us to return this item, for any reason (or no reason), within the first seven days of ownership. The timer starts on the day that you receive the item, not the order date.
Returns are subject to deductions as follows:
- Any shipping costs you paid are not refunded, and if the item shipped free, the costs we incurred to ship the item to you will be deducted from your refund or credit.
- All shipping costs you incur to return the item are your responsibility.
- A small fee is deducted from your refund to cover credit card/PayPal fees which are not refunded to us even if we refund your charge. Note that if you choose to accept a store credit instead of a refund, this deduction does not apply.
Items must be returned in 100% "as new" condition, with all original packaging, shipping materials, and accessories/manuals/bonus items. Deductions are assessed for missing or damaged items.
IMPORTANT: You must contact us for authorization BEFORE shipping the item back.
Need to figure out some of the more in-depth features of this product? Here's a copy of the manual, in PDF format, here.
You may wish to visit the manufacturer's website to see if a more recent version is available.
Traynor's two and ten-year unlimited warranty on this product is transferable and does not require registration with Traynor Amplifiers or your dealer. If this product should fail for any reason within two years of the original purchase date (ten years for the wooden enclosure), simply return it to your Traynor dealer with original proof of purchase and it will be repaired free of charge.
Freight charges, consequential damages, weather damage, damage as a result of improper installation, damages due to exposure to extreme humidity, accident or natural disaster are excluded under the terms of this warranty. Warranty does not cover consumables such as vacuum tubes. See your Traynor dealer for more details.
This warranty is valid only in Canada or the United States of America. For more information on enforcing your warranty coverage outside Canada & the United States of America please contact Traynor Amplifiers - World Headquarters.
This amp is punchy and very easy to carry. I use it with both upright and electric in a small room and as a stage monitor.
Mark: thought you might be interested in an update on the Traynor sb112 I purchased from you a couple weeks ago. I played out with it for the first time this weekend and I couldn't be happier with the way it performed. It was everything I hoped it would be. Just thought you might be interested! Thanks again!