Designed as an all-purpose preamp for piezo and magnetic pickups, it can be used for many pre-amplification purposes. The specially designed EQ has a super-wide band midrange control centered at 1.5 kHz plus bass (100hz) and treble (10kHz) controls. This very clean circuit has gain, active (+/- 20dB) bass and treble controls, an internal gain trim pot for 1x to 10x preamplification. Just a tiny bit over 8 ounces with battery.
Steel case approx. 2 3/4 x 2 1/2 x 1 1/2 inches. Powered by a 9 volt battery (not included).
K&K Sound preamps are full-range, and suitable for use with any pickup. Due to their 1 megohm input impedance, they are ideal for piezo-based and magnetic pickups. Yup, I've been known to use my Pure Preamp with my old '71 Fender Precision fretless bass, for that "active" sound without making nasty new holes in that sweet old bass.
Do you need a preamp?
You may or may not, but it's good to know if there is a technical and/or practical reason for having one for your pickup. Click on the FAQ link below "Do You NEED a Preamp..." that discusses impedance matching and using piezo pickups with "normal" amplifiers.
All K&K Preamps have the same basic specifications:
- Frequency range 10 - 30,000 Hz
- Input Impedance: 1 Mega Ohm
- Output Impedance: 3 K Ohm
- Average Current: 3.5 mA
Need to figure out some of the more in-depth features of this product? Here's a copy of the manual, in PDF format, here.
You may wish to visit the manufacturer's website to see if a more recent version is available.
For valid warranty claims, K&K will repair the item and ship it back to the customer for free, via the lowest cost shipping method. Initial shipping charges are to be paid by the customer. We normally have a 1-2 business day turnover time for repairs.
Initiating a Warranty Claim
- Please test the K&K product thoroughly to ensure that it is the source of the problem (not a cable or other unit used in combination with the item). If the product requires a battery, ensure that the battery is new and fresh.
- Call K&K (1-800-867-6863 x107) or e-mail tech support to obtain an RA number. This number is valid for 10 days. Items returned without a valid RA number may not be processed.
- Include proof of purchase to show that the item is within the 12-month warranty period. If proof of purchase cannot be obtained, or if the item is outside the warranty period, a repair fee may be charged.
- Package the product securely. K&K is not responsible for damage incurred during transit.
- Please include the following information with the package:
- RA number
- Description of the problem
- Copy of invoice, sales receipt, or similar proof of purchase
- Complete contact information with phone number
K&K Sound Systems Inc
Attn: RA # [Please indicate your unique RA number here]
92798 Cape Arago Hwy
Coos Bay, OR 97420
This little guru did the trick!
I've been using this preamp with my upright bass in a big band (jazz band). It's handy having the volume control available to me when I'm not standing next to the amp. This can be clipped to my belt.
Gives my Bass-Max a warm voice feeding into either a DI or an amp. I hang it on my quiver and the volume is always right at hand. Sturdy ? Well it's been kicking around in my gig bag, always at the ready for seven years now.
The preamp makes a world of difference, even with my older Fishman BP 100 pickups, which are positioned under the bridge feet. I'm able to get a much warmer and controllable sound than I could by going through an external EQ. For the time being, at least, I'm off the hook for investing in a better pickup, and when I do decide on one, I'm sure the K&K will still make a big difference. Thanks again, Jene