You've got to keep your bass in a safe environment to protect it from issues, like popped seams, cracks, and other problems. Swings of humidity - both high and low - and rapid temperature changes can cause headaches with our delicate instruments.
This hygrometer is a great tool for not only monitoring the current state of your instrument, but also tracking its exposure over time. It has a handy memory function that indicates the date/time of the highest & lowest temperature/humidity levels the instrument has been exposed to, cool!
For basses kept in the open air (not in their cases) those little "soak and hang" humidifiers don't do anything - if air can flow in and out of the bass freely, so can moisture - so that little rubber thingie is humidifying the whole room (and not very well.) For an internal perforated tube humidifier to be effective, you need to put the bass in a "closed environment" (like your case) to keep the moisture from escaping.
So you'll need a room humidifier, which you can get at your local department store. Lots of better ones, rather than being on all the time, have built-in humidity controls that turn it on and off (recommended). But having this little device will make it easier to double-check that you're keeping your bass safely in the right range, as many of those built-in hygrometers may not be as accurate.
- Easy-to-use digital display
- Built-in memory function, indicates date and time of highest/lowest temperature and humidity levels
- Digital clock and calendar display
- Programmable humidity set-point that indicates the need for humidification
- 20% to 99% humidity range
- -32F to 122F (-35C to 50C) temperature range
- Instruction Manual and battery included